Thursday 20 November 2008

Wind And Snow





We are supposed to be heading into summer here, but it's suddenly turned all wintery.
When I arrived there was bright sunshine and very little wind, but these last few days the wind and snow have been relentless. The wind cuts you to the core and the driving snow stings your skin, if you are silly enough to leave it exposed. Bizarrely, we also have to apply sunblock (factor 30) to our faces because our skin will burn badly within minutes, in spite of the bad weather.

It's getting tedious digging your way out of buildings all the time. Big drifts can build up in less than an hour, so imagine what it's like first thing in the morning!
You start to get used to the blizzards. You have to, really, cos this is where we live, and we can't do anything about it.

I've now been trained to ride a skidoo safely. That was a lot of fun. I can see I'm going to have some great times on those beasties!

I've also met Bubba, our new resident base skua. He is such a character. He came to see me whilst I was working out on the runway. He came right up close, expecting some free nosh. When he realised that I didn't have any food to offer he became quite indignant and shouted at me, whilst strutting and flapping around. I guess I didn't make a good first impression on him.
Bubba was the deputy base skua until the unfortunate demise of George, the head base skua. Both birds have been coming to the base for many seasons, hanging around the kithens for free handouts. Sadly, George didn't return this season, and so we fear the worst, hence Bubba's promotion.
Legend has it that Bubba once ate EIGHT sausages at one time! He certainly has the waistline to back up this reputation!

Here at Rothera we have a memorial area dedicated to those members of BAS who have lost their lives to this cruel wilderness. I went up there for the first time yesterday. Even in the middle of a harsh blow it is a place of serenity and tranquility. You read the names on the plaques and you get a lump in your throat. It is also a stark reminder of how fragile we are on this hostile continent. The environment, though stunningly beautiful, is relentless and unforgiving.

I've only been here for six days, but already I realise what hardships our predecessors had to endure. We have comfortable accommodation, good food and modern technology, but it is still a very tough life down here.
They had none of our luxuries. They were true pioneers and they deserve our full respect for their strength, their fortitude and their resilience. Their achievements should not be underestimated or neglected.

I've got field training tomorrow, when I'll learn all the Antarctic survival skills. Hopefully I'll get to camp out overnight in a pyramid tent, cook on a primus stove and experience Antarctica from the old pioneer's point of view.