Sunday 23 November 2008

More Wind, More Snow







The wind and snow are continuing relentlessly.
Look at the photo that I posted on Tuesday (18th November, Entitled "Hello (At Last) From Antarctica") of the Gator parked outside my Sparky workshop. Then compare it to the photo taken outside my workshop this morning. Bear in mind that my workshop is quite sheltered and doesnt get the drifting that other areas get.
But we are supposed to be well into summer!
For those of you who may be considering following me down here, this is what you have to contend with every day.
To be fair, this is Antarctica and this weather is what everyone, myself included, expects.
I am not complaining though. I am here because I choose to be here, and I think I would feel a little bit disappointed if there wasn't any snow.

I hear, also, that you are getting a bit of snow back home there in England. I hope you enjoy it while it lasts.

Yesterday I went out ice climbing for the first time. I went with with two of our Field GA's (General Assistants), Gabriel and Paul and my good friend Dr Matt (thoroughly nice bloke). Those of you who have followed this epic adventure from the start will remember Dr Matt (thoroughly nice bloke) from one of my earliest posts.
Paul and Gab chose a great spot to climb that was pretty challenging for novice climbers like myself and Dr Matt (thoroghly nice bloke). It looked like Everest to me but in reality it was probably only about fifty-odd feet high.
Ice climbing is great fun. Although it could be considered a dangerous pastime, BAS provide us with top-class training from the highly-skilled and motivated GA's.
Even when I slipped off the cliff-face (I wasn't very high at the time) and was dangling on the safety-rope, Paul had everything under control and helped me get safely back onto the cliff-face.
We had a couple of hours of great climbing. I had such a sense of achievement when I conquered the cliff for the first time.
I'd like to say a big thanks to Gab and Paul for the best afternoon I've had since I got here. It was even more fun than the skidoo riding.
Incidentally, Gab has been in charge of my personal field training. It's thanks to him that I am now confident and competent enough to be safe here in Antarctica.

This morning I went back to Rothera Point. If you remember, that is where there are memorial plaques remembering our BAS colleagues who have lost their lives here.
I had a few moments in silence remembering a dear friend who recently, and very tragically, passed away.
Jill was an avid and enthusiastic follower of my adventures down here and would always email me after every post. She was living my dream with me, and it was a great shock when I learnt of her passing.
I would like to offer my deepest condolences to her husband, her family and her many friends and colleagues.
Jill was a wonderful, warm and caring person, and I dedicate todays post to her memory.
Jill, I shall miss you very much.