Friday 28 November 2008

A Busy Week In Rothera








It's been a busy week.
I'm finally settling in to the work routine now. I have lots to do, and more work rolling in all the time. I'm currently working in a tech services department consisting of one person... me! I'm sparking, plumbing, fixing, digging (constantly!!), repairing and testing (grrrrrr.....!!!). I'm not doing all the work, though. My line manager has rolled up his sleeves and is getting stuck in, doing the nastier jobs while I find my feet around base.
There are a few guys stuck in Punta (I know that feeling!). When they arrive it should help to ease the workload a bit.
See, we do actually work here, it's not all fun and jollies.

However....

Earlier this week I finished my field training. Field training is compulsory for all staff. It ensures that we are confident and competent to live and survive in Antarctica.
The final part covered disciplines such as linked travel (where we are roped together with a partner), fall arrest using an ice-axe, and rescuing the aforementioned partner from an ice crevasse.
It was all was good fun until the crevasse-rescue. I was partnered with Johnny "Splash" (there are a lot of Johns here. He's a diver!), who was supposed to simulate slipping into a crevasse. He was a bit too enthusiastic, though, because, in an incredible display of blind faith he leapt into the abyss like a bungy-jumper!!!
That huge leap took me by surprise, I can tell you! I very nearly ended up in there with him, but thanks to the superb training provided by BAS, and Gabriel in particular, I managed to use my ice-axe to arrest our fall and therefore avoid our appointment with impending doom!
Half-an-hour later I had rescued Johnny Splash from his icy tomb and we were ready for the final part of the training....spending the night in the pyramid tent!

Now, when we started the days instruction the weather was superb, but as the afternoon wore on the weather worsened. The weather can change dramatically and with incredible speed. By the time we had finished all the disciplines and were ready to put up the tents it had turned quite windy....not ideal weather for putting up big tents!!
Everything we do down here is incredibly physical and usually includes digging snow. Pyramid tents are no exception!
With a lot of puffing and sweating (yes, unbelievably, it is not unusual to sweat profusely, even in sub-zero temperatures!) we eventually got our tents erected and kitted out, so we climbed in and started to prepare dinner.
Manfood, as it is called, is not exactly food fit for kings. In fact, some of it can taste quite nasty, but it is calorie-laden, very warming and very filling. Ideal when you are camping out in sub-zero, windy conditions.
Pyramid tents are just perfect for camping in Antarctica. They are rugged, warm and comforting to sleep in, although the noise of the wind keeps you awake for quite a while.

The following morning a couple of feet of snow had fallen and drifted around the tents, so guess what?
Yup!!... We had to dig them out!! For anyone thinking of coming down here, if you don't like digging, don't come!!!

With the tents all packed away we headed back to base, feeling like real intrepid explorers, grinning from ear to ear. We are now officially allowed off the confines of the base, without supervision.
It also means that I can now go out as a co-pilot when the weather improves and the planes start flying again.
My name is on the co-pilots volunteer list, quite near to the top, so hopefully I won't have to wait too long to go on my first flight.