Tuesday 11 November 2008

Punta Arenas...Minus Some Luggage!!!

Well, it just had to happen, didn´t it?
I´ve travelled halfway around the world without a hitch, until today.
I´ve arrived in Punta Arenas, but only half of my luggage arrived with me. The other half is....well...no-one seems to know!!!
Because I´m staying in Antarctica for a long time, I was granted special baggage allowance of 40kg, as opposed to the standard allowance of 23kg.
Both bags were checked in at Santiago Airport, but only one (the smaller of the two) arrived here at Punta Arenas. The larger bag is off on a jolly somewhere.
I´m due to fly to Rothera tomorrow, weather permitting. If the bag is not here it will have to follow me down later. If it doesn´t turn up at all then I´ll really be in the soft & smelly!!!
I don´t really want to think about that. It will really be a test of my powers of enterprise if I have to spend the next two years with less than half of my essential belongings.

On a brighter note...
Punta Arenas http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punta_Arenas is a pleasant little town. It´s much colder here than in Santiago, and it is so very windy. The coutryside is quite bleak and uninspiring.
There appears to be a lot of construction going on. Tourism is in its infancy here so not a lot of English is spoken. I´ll be ok though, as I speak pretty good Spanish.....!

There are a lot of trees here in Punta, but they appear to be mainly in the town. I didn´t notice many in the countryside as I was driven from the airport. I´m gonna hug a few before I leave, cos I won´t be seeing any for quite a while now, but I´ll try to do it when no-one is watching. I wouldn´t want any of the locals to think that I´m wierd....!
The trees in the main plaza are very big, and seem to be quite old. Quite surprising, really, as it is so windy. And this is summertime. I think this place must take a real battering from the elements during the winter months.

I´m going to get some dinner now.
This should be interesting....