Tuesday 11 November 2008

Just Waiting Now...










The wandering luggage turned up safe and sound last night. That´s a relief. It means that I don´t have to make one set of undercrackers last for two years!!
I´ve been playing with my camera this morning, and found a picture of me hugging a tree, taken last night.

This is why...

I met the pilots and air mechs of the BAS Air Unit last night, cos we are all staying at the same hotel. They are a great bunch of people, really down-to-earth guys (hmmm...).

It seemed like a good idea to go for a wee drink with them, to break the ice (oh dear!)...

What a bad idea that was!!!

We went into Punta, to their favourite bar. They´ve been flying out of Punta for a few years now, so they know all the best places to go.

Introductions, handshakes, then beer(s).

So far, so good.

Then...cocktails. Not so good!

I can´t remember what it was called, but it was delicious...full of limes, lemons, ice and some sort of secret rocket propulsion fuel!

I only had one. That was enough!

This morning I discovered that a herd of migrating wildebeest had somehow managed to find their way into my head, and were stampeding in blind panic, trying to get out again!

Today is going to be a l-o-n-g day.

Anyway...I´ve had breakfast and the headache is almost gone now.

It is unlikely that I´ll be flying out today. There is some sort of beaurocratic delay with the Chilean aviation authority. That should be cleared up by lunchtime, but the met guys (called metbabes in BAS-speak) at Rothera have reported that they are expecting a storm this afternoon, so right now it is unlikely that we will fly, but I´ve been told to be ready "just in case", because things change very quickly and things happen at a moment´s notice down here.

Punta is a nice place. I like it here, which is good, because the Air Unit guys say that it is not unusual to be stuck here for days on end.
I hope I can cope.