Sunday 21 December 2008

Ups And Downs

A lot can happen in a week; some of it good, some of it not so good and some of it baaadddd!

Last Saturday some us decided to go up Reptile Ridge to explore the ice crevasse. It is a series of beautiful natural ice caves that sink deep into the glacier.
We got kitted-up with jingly-janglies and crampons and headed up The Ramp to find the entrance, which had been buried by snow. Regular followers will know what's coming next....Yup!!...digging!!



Eventually the entrance was exposed, but before we were allowed to venture in we were given a safety brief. Most of the activities we do down here involve risk and danger, so the briefing was essential.

Briefing over, and we descended, one by one, into the tiny entrance hole. This was good.
Once inside we were met by a small chamber of stunning ice formations, with tunnels leading off to other chambers. All the accessible chambers have been fitted out with safety ropes by the GA's. This serves two purposes; it gives safe anchorage points, and we can find our way back out afterwards.



















We'd look up and see incredible icicle formations, then we'd crawl through the tiniest hole in the ice, into another amazing chamber.
We took lots of photos, but the cameras couldn't pick out the hypnotic ice formations and brilliant colours (mostly shades of blue and white). Shame, really, because it really was quite spectacular to see.
Some of these crevasse photos were taken by Paul Holding. Thanks Paul, great pics.




It was during a steep descent into the deepest chamber that I finally came a cropper!!
I was descending backwards down a sheer ice-face when my crampon caught on a small protruding lump of ice. My whole body-weight was committed to the descent but my foot was caught fast on the ice.
Something had to give....and it did!!!
My left calf muscle gave out with a mega POP!!! This was baaaddd!!!

Ouch!! Well...that wasn't quite what I said, but you get the idea!

It was pretty painful climbing back out through all those chambers, but with the best intrepid Antarctic grit, I toughed it out. This was not so good!!










When we finally got back to base Dr Matt (thoroughly nice bloke) diagnosed a badly torn muscle. He gave me some painkillers then packed me off to the lounge to elevate and rest the leg. No beers for me that night.Everyone on base was concerned for my well-being, and I must make particular mention of my good mate Jonny Yates, our wintering vehicle mech. He ensured that I was comfortable and that I had plenty of ice for my painfully swollen leg. Thanks, Jon. You are a diamond geezer.
For the rest of the week I've been hobbling around base; not easy with all the snow and uneven ground around here.
The swelling has started to go down now, and the bruising is coming out.
Yes, it was as painful as it looks!!

On a brighter note:
I went on another co-pilot flight yesterday. We had to drop some fuel drums off at Fossil Bluff depot. Whist I was there I had to service the fire extinguishers and take a look at the generator that wasn't working.
My pilot for the flight was Canadian Steve King, one of the most charismatic of BAS's air aces.


No-one has a dull trip with Steve.
We'd only been in the air for a few minutes when he let go of everything, picked up a clipboard and said
"Here you go, you're in control!"

"Whoah!!!" says I, in half panic!

Steve calmly pointed out the instruments and dials that I should pay particular attention to, then proceeded to fill in all his flight paperwork. I had complete and total control of the aircraft, but with Steve watching and supervising out of the corner of his eye!!

I am an electrician, flying a twin-engined plane full of fuel drums over Antarctica.

Brilliant!!!!


When we got to the Bluff Steve unloaded the fuel drums with the ground crew whilst I went off to the accommodation hut to carry out my tasks.

Fossil Bluff is a fabulous little place 150 miles south of Rothera, steeped in Antarctic history.
It was built in the 1960's, when four men would spend whole Antarctic winters there, totally alone and isolated.


Inside the hut are artefacts and personal belongings from those days gone by.
Nowadays Fossil Bluff is only manned during the summer months. I'm hoping that next time I go there I can stay for a week or so. That would be so cool.









Today the James Clark Ross made her first and only visit to Rothera this season. She was fully loaded with all the supplies that we are going to need for the next year.
We now have three intense days of unloading all the cargo and reloading her with everything that is to be taken away from here, i.e.ground-breaking and world-leading scientific stuff for Cambridge (and the world), and all our waste for recycling or disposal.This period is what we call "Relief".

The JCR also brought with her the final members of the team that are wintering this season. I haven't seen these people since Conference in September. Can't wait until they can disembark.
The team is almost complete.
Sadly, Brian, our wintering plumber will not be coming down after all.
We all send our best wishes to you, Brian. You will be missed down here, mate, but we'll keep in touch via this blog and also by email.