Wednesday 3 December 2008

Back To Normal

First off, I have to make a correction to my last post.
After consultation with some knowledgable people here (beakers, they're everywhere), I discovered that I was mistaken when I identified Dave.
It turns out that my new mate Dave (as opposed to my old mate Dave, my good mate of many years standing) is not a Crabeater seal after all. He is actually a Weddell seal !
Sorry Dave, for misidentifying you, and sorry to you, too, Dave, for offering your name to the wrong type of seal. I hope this one gets your "seal" of approval. (sorry, couldn't resist it).

After Monday evening's super weather it didn't take long to get back to normal.
Woke up Tuesday morning to a bitterly cold wind, but no snow, at first. As the day wore on, though, the wind dropped and the snow came....again. We have now had snowfall on the base for twenty-three consecutive days!! We've had eight to ten inches of snow fall today alone.
Well, this is Antarctica, I suppose.
Guess I'll be digging again tomorrow!!

I'm not posting any photos today because all there is to see is deep snow, snowdrifts and footprints in snow (plus the odd beard-print, where I've fallen over... again!).

Talking of footprints, I've noticed a bizzarre phenomena; when you are walking behind someone in deepish snow, if you look in the snow-hole that their foot just made, it looks blue... very blue! White snow on the surface, blue snow in the hole, and if you try to dig the blue snow out it isn't blue anymore, it's turned white again!! Hmmm... !
I can't seem to get any good photos of blue snow, but when (or if) I do, I'll post them.
We also get blue icebergs float by.
And icebergs that have blue and white layers in them.
So much for this being the white continent.

I've been having a couple of good jam sessions in the green room lately. We could have the makings of decent house band, although I've never played in a band that had three bass players before!

I'll say it again; Antarctica is a wonderfully crazy place!!!