Thursday 30 October 2008

Almost Time To Go...







Departure date is rapidly approaching.

I've finished all my training courses now.

On top of what I learnt at conference;
I now know to strip-down, service and maintain all the fire extinguishers on the base;
I am now familiar with the operation and controls of our base generators;
I can now strip-down, service and maintain the fire & rescue breathing apparatus;
I can train personnel how to safely wear and use the breathing apparatus;
I am conversant with the storage and use of compressed gases;
I can service and maintain the base fire alarm systems;
I can service and maintain the base refrigeration plant;
I can safely operate mobile work platforms;
I am familiar with the company internal computer system.

When I finally arrive on base I will have to do even more on-site training.

Phew!!!

Actually, all the training has been a lot of fun, mainly thanks to the following guys I've been training with;

Richard Inman, K.E.P.'s Electrician;
Rob Johnson, Halley's Electrician;
Richard Bones, Signy's Electrician;
Paul Craske, Rothera's Generator Technician.

Thanks, lads. You helped make hotel life much more tolerable. We sure had a laugh.

I won't see much of Richard, Rob and Richard for a while, as they're all going to different bases.
We'll keep in touch via phone and e-mail though. These are friendships that will last a long time.

I'll be seeing a lot of Paul. He is wintering with with me at Rothera and I am looking forward to working with him and having many-a-laugh together.
It's our joint responsibility to keep the generators running. If we get it wrong we'll have a lot of unhappy campers on our backs so we've got to look out for each other.
Huh...no pressure then!!?

I'd also like to thank all the staff at BAS, Cambridge.
They have all been so helpful and genuinely exited at what we are about to undertake.

Special thanks must go to Mandy, Denise and Sally (cos they're the ones who've had to put up with us the most). They smiled constantly, in spite of every problem that we threw at them.
It's thanks to you, girls, that we have gotten this far.
I'm gonna miss you, even though you're probably glad to see the back of me. XXX


Last Friday my wife and children threw a surprise birthday/leaving party for me.
It was good to see a lot of my friends and family one last time before I leave.
Thank you Mandy, Jessica and Sam. It was a splendid evening, and I'll remember it for a long time.
Many thanks, also, to all who were able to turn up to say happy birthday and goodbye. It meant a lot to me.
Thanks, also, to those who were unable to attend but sent warm messages.
I'm lucky to know so many special people.

This month not only saw my birthday, but also the birthdays of my two children, Sam and Jessica.
I am sad that I won't be here to celebrate next year's birthdays with them, and they won't be with me when I have my 50th next year.
They have been so very supportive of me, especially when I was having doubts. I don't think they'd forgive me if I didn't go, now.
They aren't kids any more; they've both grown into fine young adults. I'm very proud of them, and I love them dearly. I shall miss them so very much.

Mandy, too, has been unbelievably supportive. It is not easy for her to wave goodbye to me for so long.
I will miss two of her birthdays and two Christmases.
This seems to be a good time to publicly acknowledge her contribution and support for me.
It's gonna be a tough time for her, but she has never once been negative, even though I'm sure that she has often had such feelings.

Mandy, I will miss you more than you will ever know. xxx


I have my ticket. I just have to pack my case.
Then it's Santiago, here I come!!!


Still with me??

You're mad.....!!!